A criminal record is an official statement, issued by the pertinent institution of a particular Government, that confirms whether a person has been convicted of one or more offences. Reporting criminal records can have important consequences in your life, as there are many contexts in which you may be asked for a criminal record certificate in order to get a job or travel abroad. Therefore, it is important to be well informed about how to apply for it and, in case you need to use it abroad, how to officially translate it. In today’s article, we will talk about the sworn translation of a criminal record certificate.

Criminal record certificate.

A criminal record certificate is an official document that certifies the absence or existence of a person’s criminal record. Anyone can apply for a criminal record certificate. However, it is not a public record, so only the person in question or a legal representative can access his or her own record, and not that of another person without his or her legal consent.

It is important not to confuse this certificate with a certificate of sexual offences, also known as the International Child Protection Certificate in the UK, usually required for work involving minors.

How to apply for a criminal record certificate?

In the UK, you have to apply for a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to get a copy of your criminal record. This is called ‘basic disclosure’. It usually takes 14 days for you to receive your certificate. To use this service, you’ll need to prove your identity using GOV.UK One Login. You’ll be able to create a GOV.UK One Login if you do not already have one. You’ll need to provide addresses for the last 5 years (including the dates you lived at each address), as well as your passport, driving licence (full or provisional) and National Insurance number. For other countries, you will need to contact the Police administration in order to obtain your certificate.

When to apply for a criminal record certificate?

Employers can check your criminal record no matter what role you apply for. This is called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

For certain roles, an employer can request a more detailed DBS check, for example if you’ll be working with children or in healthcare. Your employer can still request a basic check if they cannot get a more detailed check for your role. If you’re self-employed you can only request a basic check for yourself.

Sworn translation of the criminal record certificate

If you are thinking of moving to another country to study or work, you will probably need a criminal record certificate. As it is written in English, you will need a sworn translation into the language of the destination country. The official translation of a criminal record certificate can only be performed by a sworn translator duly authorised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and will only be valid if it is signed and stamped by the translator.

In addition, it may need to be legalised with an Apostille. The option to include an Apostille can be selected when applying for the certificate and it also needs to be translated by a sworn translator.

How to request a sworn translation of a criminal record certificate?

At iTrad Translations we provide sworn translations of criminal record certificates in all languages: Spanish, Russian, French, etc. Thanks to our express service, we speed up the processing of your application, thus preventing the procedure from becoming tedious. In some cases, we can have it ready in less than an hour.

If you need a sworn translation, please contact us, and one of our customer representatives will answer to all your questions or send us your scanned documents to info@itrad.es! using our contact form. If you liked our post on “Sworn translation of the criminal record certificate”, please share it on your social networks. You are also welcome to visit our blog, where you will find more posts on other topics in the world of translation.

Compártenos tu documento